ACTON, Mass. – September 29 (SEND2PRESS NEWSWIRE) — Embedded Toolsmiths today announced Guardian-SE JTAG ICE and Agile-DB Debugger support for Applied Micro Circuits Corporation’s (AMCC) [NASDAQ:AMCC] PowerPC 440SP and 440SPe processors.
With the addition of these new processors, Embedded Toolsmiths’ powerful, cost-effective JTAG Tools now support the entire portfolio of AMCC’s 400 series processors built on the award-winning PowerPC architecture. AMCC’s processors offer advanced processing capability with the versatility and bandwidth needed by high-performance embedded systems for the communications/networking, storage, consumer and industrial markets.
The Guardian-SE JTAG ICE and Agile-DB source-level debugger provide many powerful on-chip debug capabilities including the following:
* Low cost solutions for board bring-up and test, boot loader debug through firmware and kernel debug
* Support for Linux and Windows host platforms
* One system supports all PowerPC processors, no firmware changes required
* Can be used with GDB, DDD, Insight, Eclipse and other open-source tools for cost-effective debug
* Hot-plug into a crashed or running system without disturbing the user’s target status
* Can automatically identify supported processors and flash memory devices
* Crash-proof debug of popular kernels/operating systems, including embedded Linux kernel debug
* High speed downloads, FLASH programming and single-stepping using powerful JTAG technology
* Data Book view of on-chip registers allow fast, easy target configuration
* MMU and cache displays let user view and change target state on-the-fly
* A powerful GUI that allows users to arrange data on screen according to personal preferences
* Turnkey flash operations for popular manufacturers including Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. (AMD), Intel(R), Atmel, Spansion LLC, Fujitsu Microelectronics America, Inc., Micron Technologies Inc., NEC Electronics Corporation, Sharp Electronics Corporation, Toshiba Corporation, STMicroelectronics, and Silicon Storage Technology, Inc.
The following phases of embedded debug and development are supported by Embedded Toolsmiths’ high-speed PowerPC JTAG Tools:
Board and Hardware Bring-Up: Reset, step and run the target. Set and view target registers, MMU and cache Test RAM (DDR or SRAM), program FLASH and peek and poke devices using scripts and macros.
Boot Loader, Firmware and Software Debug: Reset, step and run the target. Set hardware and software breakpoints in RAM- and FLASH-based code. View source code, assembly code and data variables. Debug popular Boot Loaders like U-Boot, Redboot and others.
LINUX Debug: Debug the Linux kernel, drivers and loadable modules.
Manufacturing Test: Test RAM (DDR or SRAM), I/O devices, program FLASH and peek and poke devices with scripts and macros. Create custom buttons and attach commands for popular tests. Erase, program and verify multiple images to multiple FLASH devices and FLASH device types.
“The Agile-DB Debugger and Guardian-SE JTAG Emulator for AMCC’s entire PowerPC portfolio provide many unique features, which help to simplify the debug process for customers, such as automatic detection of processor and FLASH devices and the ability to ‘hot plug’ into a running system,” said Greg Johansen, vice president of engineering for Embedded Toolsmiths.
“We are delighted to see Embedded Toolsmiths offering JTAG ICE and debugger support for our 440SP and 440SPe processors,” said Charlie Ashton, director of PowerPC software at AMCC. “Customers around the world are working on system designs based on these platforms and it’s critical that they have access to high-quality debugging tools, which will accelerate their development process.”
Guardian-SE and Agile-DB for the entire AMCC 400 series processor family are now available. For more information about Embedded Toolsmiths embedded development systems and solutions, please visit www.etoolsmiths.com. For information on AMCC’s PowerPC processors please visit www.amcc.com.
About Embedded Toolsmiths
Founded in 2001, Embedded Toolsmiths provides hardware-assisted debug technology that is focused on the problems faced by embedded hardware and software engineers bringing up new and custom hardware based on the PowerPC processor family. Agile-DB and Guardian-SE are registered trademarks of Embedded Toolsmiths. http://www.etoolsmiths.com
AMCC provides the essential building blocks for the processing, moving and storing of information worldwide. The company blends systems and software expertise with high-performance, high-bandwidth silicon integration to deliver silicon, hardware and software solutions for global wide area networks (WAN), embedded applications such as PowerPC and programmable SOC architectures, storage area networks (SAN), and high-growth storage markets such as Serial ATA (SATA) RAID. AMCC’s corporate headquarters are located in San Diego, California. Sales and engineering offices are located throughout the world. For further information regarding AMCC, please visit our web site at www.amcc.com.
Mailing Address: Embedded Toolsmiths, 3 Kate Drive, Acton, MA 01720, (800) 268-9576, (978) 263-9768.
Agile-DB and Guardian-SE are registered trademarks of Embedded ToolSmiths. All other brand and product names are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective owners.
News issued by: Embedded Toolsmiths
# # #
Original Story ID: (854) :: 2005-09-0929-001
Original Keywords: Agile-DB, Guardian-SE, Embedded Toolsmiths, AMCC, hardware-assisted debug technology, 440SP and 440SPe processors, Greg Johansen, Charlie Ashton, PowerPC software, NASDAQ: AMCC, cost-effective JTAG Tools, Guardian-SE JTAG ICE, source-level debugger Embedded Toolsmiths
News Source: Embedded Toolsmiths