DENVER, CO (SEND2PRESS NEWSWIRE) — InnocentEnglish.com, a website dedicated to collecting humorous English mistakes from around the world, is kicking off its new “Weekly Top Ten List” feature by releasing “The Top Ten Funniest Bush Blunders of All Time (so far…).”
“Every President has strengths and weaknesses, and eloquent oratory isn’t often considered to be one of the strengths of President George W. Bush” said Bryant Oden, creator of InnocentEnglish.com. “So, the challenge in this case was narrowing the list down to ten. Fortunately, some of the ones that didn’t make this list will have a chance to appear in a few weeks, in the Top Ten Bushisms of 2005.”
The list follows:
The Top Ten Funniest Bush Blunders of All Time:
1. “I am here to make an announcement that this Thursday, ticket counters and airplanes will fly out of Ronald Reagan Airport.” –Washington, D.C., Oct. 3, 2001
2. “Too many good docs are getting out of the business. Too many OB–GYNs aren’t able to practice their love with women all across this country.” –Poplar Bluff, Mo., Sept. 6, 2004
3. “Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we.” –Washington, D.C., Aug. 5, 2004
4. “There’s no doubt in my mind that we should allow the world worst leaders to hold America hostage, to threaten our peace, to threaten our friends and allies with the world’s worst weapons.” –South Bend, Indiana, Sept. 5, 2002.
5. “There’s an old…saying in Tennessee…I know it’s in Texas, probably in Tennessee that says Fool me once…(3 second pause)… Shame on…(4 second pause)…Shame on you….(6 second pause)…Fool me…Can’t get fooled again.” –Nashville, Tennessee, Sept. 17, 2002.
6. “See, free nations are peaceful nations. Free nations don’t attack each other. Free nations don’t develop weapons of mass destruction.” –Milwaukee, Wis., Oct. 3, 2003
7. “The ambassador and the general were briefing me on the —- the vast majority of Iraqis want to live in a peaceful, free world. And we will find these people and we will bring them to justice.” –Washington, D.C., Oct. 27, 2003.
8 “I’m looking forward to a good night’s sleep on the soil of a friend.” –on visiting Denmark, Washington D.C., June 29, 2005
9. “Wow! Brazil is big.” after being shown a map of Brazil by Brazilian president Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva, Brasilia, Brazil, Nov. 6, 2005
10. A tie between:
“Rarely is the question asked, ‘Is our children learning’?”
–Florence, S.C. Jan 11 2000
“The illiteracy level of our children are appalling.” –Washington, D.C., Jan. 23, 20004
Future weekly top ten lists include “The Top Ten Bushisms of 2005”, “The Top Ten Funniest Movie Captions”, “The Top Ten Funniest Love Song Translations” and “The Top Ten Funniest Courtroom Bloopers.”
Oden has been collecting humorous English mistakes for several years. “I think it all started when I went on a college work trip to an orphanage in Mexico. When we arrived, I enthusiastically greeted each of the children with ‘Buenos Dios! Buenos Dios!’ After some puzzled looks and a lot of laughter, a friend explained that I wasn’t saying ‘Good day.’ I was running around shouting ‘Good God! Good God!’ The laughter of that moment really broke the ice with the children, and I guess it left a strong impression on me. Since then, I’ve had an appreciation for the way innocent language mistakes can help to spread a little laughter. Although, I have to admit, in the case of this particular top ten list, it’s hard to know whether to laugh or cry.”
Oden, from Colorado, currently attends the University of Alberta, where he is completing a Masters degree in Education. He recently compiled the pocket–sized humor book, “Never Lick a Gift Horse in the Mouth: And 400 Other Innocent Mistakes from New English Language Students.” The book, published by Western Reflections Publishing, is available through amazon.com and through the website, www.Innocentenglish.com.
News issued by: InnocentEnglish.com
# # #
Original Story ID: (1005) :: 2005-11-1114-002
Original Keywords: InnocentEnglish, top ten Bush mistakes, George W Bush, humour, entertainment, website, Bryant Oden, Top Ten Funniest Bush Blunders of All Time, speech, faux pas, guffaws InnocentEnglish.com