edited by Christopher Simmons, senior news editor
HISTORICAL LANDMARK BURIES TIME CAPSULE FOR ROBERT DOWNEY, JR ON APRIL 5, 2002, 6 PM
The R Downey Feathers Support Group, and The Silent Movie Theater in Hollywood join together in paying tribute to Charlie Chaplin and Robert Downey, Jr.
HOLLYWOOD, CA -- (SEND2PRESS NEWSWIRE via PRNetwire) -- March 19, 2002 -- The RDowney Feathers, along with the Silent Movie Theater in Hollywood, will dedicate a Time Capsule to Mr. Robert Downey, Jr. on April 5, 2002 at 6 PM Buried deep within the Silent Movie Theater, in an undisclosed location, the time capsule contains articles, and artifacts of Mr. Downey's career and successes. It will also pay tribute to Mr. Chaplin.
The "R Downey Feathers" is a small but dedicated group of family, friends and fans that have run vigorous media campaigns and become activists against inaccurate reports and journalistic articles, which seemed to convict instead of report the news. The Feathers, as they fondly call themselves, also ran an international ribbon campaign, along with appearances at each of Mr. Downey's court hearings. Cervanna Gold, the group's creator and moderator, made sure that there was always someone in court standing behind Robert in support of him and his recovery.
This time capsule has been a labor of love for the Feathers. Many members have made contributions to its contents. Items such as Robert's music and newspaper articles on his Golden Globe and Screen Actors Guild awards are enclosed. In addition letters written by members and artifacts have also been incorporated. "We want to celebrate all the good things Mr. Downey has accomplished in these recent years," states Cervanna Gold. "He is one of the most talented actors the movie industry has ever seen. We believe the entertainment community is a better place with him in it."
Though many Hollywood locations were considered to house the time capsule, the Silent Movie Theater in Hollywood is the perfect location. Being the only silent film cinema currently in the USA, theatergoers and silent film enthusiasts can still enjoy an evening of Charlie Chaplin or other silent film greats as they were meant to be seen. This movie-house, currently owned and operated by Charlie Lustman, is nestled in the heart of Hollywood and is surrounded by many Chaplin-related historical locations. Robert Downey, Jr., who's Oscar nominated portrayal of Charlie Chaplin earned him recognition among many of his peers, has frequented this venue in the past.
A plaque will be placed inside the Silent Movie Theater stating:
R Downey Feathers
A Time Capsule
Dedicated to Robert Downey, Jr.,
his talent, and his successes
To be opened in 2017
ABOUT THE SILENT MOVIE THEATER:
The Silent Movie Theater in Hollywood is currently the only silent movie theater in operation in the USA. This vintage venue has been a shrine for silent movie fans since 1942.
John and Dorothy Hampton opened this theater in the 1940's with Cecile B DeMille's epic, "The King of Kings." Many bumps in the road soon followed. John was arrested and spent a short time in jail. Then, in the 1970's, the theater mysteriously closed.
The theater reopened in 1991 when a family friend, Lawrence Austin renovated it. However, in January of 1997, a business partner murdered Austin. The theater closed once again until Charlie Lustman, a songwriter, saw the "For Sale" sign out front.
On November 7, 1999 Charlie re-opened the theater with the last silent film ever made, Charlie Chaplin's "Modern Times."
* The silent Movie Theater seats 224
* Prices are: General Adult tickets $9.00 and Students, Children under 12, and Senior Citizens (over 65) are only $7.00.
* Show times are Friday through Sunday evenings at 8 PM and matinees are Sunday afternoons at 1:00 pm and 4 PM.
* Box Office number is 310-655-2520.
* The Silent Movie Theater is located at 611 North Fairfax in Hollywood. Office number is 323-655-2510.
* The theater is also open for special events.
* Web site: www.silentmovietheater.com
ABOUT THE TIME CAPSULE:
The Downey Feathers have always believed in Robert's ability to find his way through recent tribulations. In homage to these last years, we have created a Time Capsule that contains such items as news articles on his SAG and Golden Globes wins, a CD containing his own songs, and items created by members of the group (such as letters, pictures, T-shirts, etc.). The time capsule is designed to celebrate the good things that took place these last few years, love and humor.
It is to be buried in an undisclosed location inside the Silent Movie Theater in Hollywood. A plaque will acknowledge its presence there. The time capsule is scheduled to be resurrected in 2017, 15 years from now. (Mr. Downey will turn 52 that year).
FACTS ABOUT THE ROBERT DOWNEY FEATHERS:
This group was created for the sole purpose of supporting of Robert Downey, Jr. It is made up of family, friends and fans. The group has always been about quality of support and is not interested in quantity of members. It is a closed organization.
* The group "officially" formed in January 1999. Many of its members came from other Robert Downey groups, but were interested in being more pro-active in his recovery.
* The group is made up of 143 of Downey's friends, family and fans, here in the US and internationally.
* Over 4,000 letters have been sent to newspapers, reporters, and public officials with such concerns as the need to understand addiction as an illness and not a crime, and the need to place non-violent drug offenders in rehab rather than prison. In addition, many letters have gone out to news organizations that included inaccuracies in their reporting of events or hearings.
* Lapel ribbons made of the colors- red, white and purple, wrapped in gold- quickly became an international campaign. Each color symbolizes the Feathers' feelings for Robert. Red: deep love and conviction needed to fight addiction; White: the pureness of heart; Purple: essential courage; and Gold: symbolizing friendship.
* Cervanna Gold, creator and moderator of the group, has worked in Hollywood for the past 15 years, and continues to do so after taking a short break to publish a book. Years earlier, Ms. Gold had the pleasure of working on the same film as Mr. Downey (Heart and Souls).
* In their spare time, the group has written 3 "novels" which center around Mr. Downey and have been presented to him - and only to him - for his reading pleasure.
* Web site: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/RDowneyFeathers
FACTS ABOUT ROBERT DOWNEY, JR.:
* His birthday is April 4th, that is why April was chosen to bury the capsule.
* 1999 SAG and Golden Globe winner for his portrayal of Larry Paul on the hit TV series "Ally Mc Beal."
* Robert Downey is set to star in "The Singing Detective," a remake of the famed Dennis potter-scripted BBC mini-series. Keith Gordon will direct the film, which will begin shooting April 23rd.
Downey will once again work with his friend Mel Gibson, who co-starred with him in "Air America," as Icon Productions will produce the picture. Previously, Gibson had encouraged Downey to star in a stage presentation of Hamlet that will be produced by Gibson. Something Downey fans would still love to see.
This celebrated six-part BBC miniseries, The Singing Detective, starred Michael Gambon as a fiction writer hospitalized with a grotesque case of psoriasis. Most of the action takes place in his fever-plagued brain, as he reworks the fiction of his first novel, "The Singing Detective," and becomes the protagonist of his story, pursuing Nazis of the 1940's. A possible second Oscar nod?
# # #
View the original news release in text-only format