In The News
Business News from Send2Press Newswire
Recent News Stories from PRnetwire >> News Article
Edited by Christopher Simmons, senior news editor
ALZHEIMERS STORE OFFERS GIFTS FOR PEOPLE WITH DEMENTIA
JUPITER, Fla. - Dec. 3, 2002 - /Send2Press Newswire/ -- Christmas shopping for people with Alzheimer's disease is not an impossible task. The Alzheimer's Store leads the way by answering questions like: "What kind of gift do you give someone with Alzheimer's disease?" And, "What do you give their caregivers?"
There are more than 19 million family members in the United States, each asking that very question this holiday season. What can they get for a loved one or friend with dementia?
A person beyond the early stages of Alzheimer's probably cannot tell you what they want or what they enjoy. But perhaps there are some clues.
"We have to go into their world to discover what they need," explained Mark Warner, co-owner of the Alzheimer's Store. "Our products help both patients and caregivers maintain their independence. They provide reminders for forgetful minds, remove obstacles and ease emotional tensions. For example, a clock with the day and date assists a person in the early stages of Alzheimer's to keep appointments, take medication or eliminate the need to ask what day it is, over and over.
When a person becomes forgetful, taking their medications on time or making sure the pills are only taken once (not double dosing) is very important. An automatic medication dispenser allows caregivers to set up medications, so when the beeper sounds the right meds are taken at the right time.
Here are some more products found at The Alzheimer's Store (www.alzstore.com):
- The Memory Phone allows a person to dial the phone by simply pushing a picture of the person they want to call.
- A picture book explains Alzheimer's disease to young children 5-years old and up.
- Aerobics for the Mind is a set of 100 cards, each with its own exercise in mental fitness.
- The Fuzzy Wuzzy Bear, the world's softest and "cuddliest" Teddy Bear, provides nurturing for those in later stage dementia.
- Sing-a-long video tapes provide hours of enjoyment for patient and caregiver.
The holiday season can be a joyous time for everyone even families caring for someone with Alzheimer's. You just have to know what to get. "We select only products that satisfy real issues faced by people with age-related diseases and those caring for them," said Ellen Warner, co-founder of The Alzheimer's Store.
For more information and gift ideas, visit The Alzheimer's Store at www.alzstore.com or call 800.752.3238. For holiday tips regarding Alzheimer's disease, go to www.agelessdesign.com.
MORE GIFT IDEAS
- Reflective Impressions is a spiritual and calming CD 33 hymns and Bible instrumentals that not only provide beautiful music, but also fond memories.
- Favorite Hymns - From "Amazing Grace" to "What a Friend," this beautifully illustrated book features verses from twenty four of the most popular hymns in large easy to read print.
- Four Piece Puzzles: Each of these easy puzzles has only four large pieces. Simple to you and I, these puzzles can create a wonderful sense of accomplishment for those in the middle stages of Alzheimer's disease.
- Swing 'N Sing is a fun-filled video exercise program, perfect for people experiencing dementia. It's mixed with nostalgic melodies guaranteed to put a glimmer in the eye, a song in the heart and tapping in the toes!
Source of news:
The Alzheimer's Store
Read original news release in raw text format
View More Recent News Stories from PRnetwire
DISCLAIMER: the above news article is believed accurate but not guaranteed, and is based on news supplied by the company or organization mentioned and/or quoted in the story. Neotrope/Send2Press makes no claims of accuracy or suitability for any purpose. Your use of any information contained herein is done solely at your own risk, and you are fully responsible for using any information herein, or on sites mentioned or linked to in the article. Reproduction of this news article in any form requires written authorization use of the raw text version of the news has no restrictions other than you may not post our news on a website which offers either PR or newswire services, or Internet Promotion services..
Note: we began transition of our news archive to new location as of May 15, 2016; merging of old and new systems should be completed by late July.
Baldor Specialty Foods and Whole Foods Market Inc. Announce The Baldor Forager Launch at New Williamsburg Store
RSU 74 Becomes First Maine School District to Select Synergy
SSA Music Signs West Coast Indie Label Big West Music
Searching for a new home just got bigger and better with TOPTEN!
Margate CRA Approves Development Agreement with New Urban Communities for 36-Acre City Center Project
Demand is growing for more effective elimination of surgical smoke from ORs
Lead Sled Devil Tattoo of Oklahoma City, OK is now a Tatt2Away Studio Center
When Long-Term Care Insurance Benefits Run Out, What Next? A Trending 'Partnership' System Offers a Fix, ACSIA Partners Reports
Red Blood/Black Ink - A Call to Stop Bloodshed
NON PROFIT NEWS
» READ MORE NEWS